Hello World 4 - using Python¶
|Level||All beginners||Time||5 min|
|OS||Linux - Windows - Mac||Preparation||5/15 min|
Preparation time is given for the case you have to install tools prior the tutorial.
Let’s do it¶
Your robot says “Hello, world!”.
How it works¶
Let’s explain the 3 lines you wrote:
from naoqi import ALProxy
This line imports the module ALProxy.
tts = ALProxy("ALTextToSpeech", "<IP of your robot>", 9559)
This line creates an object called tts. This object will send calls to NAOqi.
- tts is the name we gave to the object instance (could have been myspeechmodule or speakingmodule).
- ALProxy() is a class of objects, allowing you to have acces to all the methods of a module.
- ALTextToSpeech is the name of the module of NAOqi we want to use.
- IP and Port (9559) of the robot are also specified (it was not the case with Choregraphe).
This line uses the object tts to send an instruction to the NAOqi module.
- tts is the object we use.
- say() is the method.
- “Hello, world!” is the parameter.
What you have learned¶
To make the robot do something, you have to:
- Import the module ALProxy.
- Create an object giving access to one of the NAOqi modules.
- Call one of its available methods.
Outside Choregraphe, IP and Port are mandatory parameters of proxy().